Date: 04.28.1998
Author: Mick Manson (mick.manson@zetnet.co.uk)
Subject: WangDAT tape drive malfunction
Problem:      I have been successfully using a Wangdat 3100 for
backups for a number of years now. Under Windows 3.1, I used PC Tools and
when I switched to Windows 95, I used HP Colorado. When I bought ADAPTEC
EZSCSI 4, I used that, as it had better support for the Wangdat drive.

About 2 months ago it stopped working, in that I could no longer format
tapes. After a long while with nothing happening, I got a message that
there had been an invalid SCSI command. I could still write to tapes that
had been formatted. I tried another program NovaBack, with the same
results.

Following a tip in a newsgroup, I replaced the Aix78xx.mpd file with an
older version, and this improved matters, in that I could format, but any
backup would produce 2 errors, and the backup is not correct, in that I
cannot read it. I replaced the Aix78xx.mpd file by simply copying over it.

I am fairly certain the problem is a software one. I have swapped out the
DAT drive and the problem persists. I have tried my drive on a Windows 3.11
PC using PC Tools and it works fine.

Have you come across a similar problem to this in the past, and is there
any advise you could give me?

email address (required)
Name (optional)
Enter your comments below